Sunday, October 14, 2007

First Night

I only wrote a few journal entries during our trip to Austria. This one is from our first night in Grundlsee. There is a great deal about how long, tiring, and sweaty the trip was, but let's skip over most of that.

"...The second part of the train ride was gorgeous, but like much of this travel day, felt like we couldn't fully appreciate it because we were so tired. Passing through beautiful mountains and lakes and little villages, with all the houses decked out with overflowing flower boxes. Finally, finally we made it to Bad Aussee, and the gang soon came to get us. What a relief...We pulled up to the house and it almost seemed like a joke. I've never stayed in a grander--or more comfortable--home. Pictures will describe it better than my words. We got a quick tour and then stripped down and walked down (about 15 feet) to the lake. Cold, but Elio gamely walked in up to his ankles and loved it. We bathed him there and then brought him over to the dock and I jumped in. The lake is outrageous. So clean. Elio tried to step off the pier into the water. He is fearless.

"The gang all went out to dinner. I stayed in and fed E. eggs and applesauce. Which he ate like a robot. Then I took him down to get him into his pajamas. He started playing with his cars but let me dress him easily. We read one book, he talked a little, then I put him in the crib and sang halfway through "Sunshine" and he was out.

"Now I'm on the front porch, watching the day's light fade, sipping a glass of wine, some mountains looming over, the lake turning silver to my left, the greens of everything growing greener."

No comments: